Questions About Leading Edge:
How far in advance should I book your services?
Ideally book all services 48hrs; but give us a call (408-345-5323) if you need immediate turn-around so we can discuss your specific situation and how we can meet your needs; we serve the San Francisco Bay Area and while we can nearly always arrange cleaning services within 48 hours, next-day service may be possible!
How long has Leading Edge been in business?
Leading Edge has been in business since 2008; the company started by providing cleaning, detailing, and maintenance services to the aviation sector, and expanded into residential and commercial cleaning within the San Francisco Bay Area in 2010.
What are the company’s hours of operation?
To arrange services, please call between our business hours: 7:00 am – 7:00 pm. However, our professional teams of cleaners work when you need them to–for commercial businesses that may mean overnight, while residential services can easily be arranged and conducted during the day or evening hours to best meet your unique needs.
Carpet Care and Maintenance Tips
Will my carpet get dirty quicker / sooner after you clean it?
No, our 5 step process ensures and soft plush carpet without the residues that attract rapid re-soiling of your carpets. These steps include:
1) Inspection and Pre-treating of heavily soiled areas and stains
2)Pre-treating the carpet with an environmentally safe solution
3)Scrubbing the carpet to work the solution into the carpet for maximum effectiveness.
4)Steam extraction to thoroughly rinse and clean out the carpet.
5)Dry passes for minimum dry times.
What steps should I take to maintain my carpet care between professional cleanings?
There are several steps you can take to maintain the life of your carpet. Regular professional cleanings at least every six months is our primary recommendation—this is for a typical residential house, but we can arrange yearly scheduled carpet cleanings as well. Professional cleaning equipment is able to extract contaminants deep within your carpet fibers that dull and discolor your carpet over time, while also sullying the air in your home with allergens and dirt particles.
Between professional cleanings, consider these tips:
- vacuum regularly (at least once a week)
- spot clean stains immediately (we love Shaw’s R2X Stain and Soil Remover)
- use a door mat to reduce the amount of outside dirt entering your home
- use runners (either carpet or clear runners) in high traffic areas
- take of your shoes before walking on your carpet
How should I maintain my area rug between professional cleanings?
Area rugs require specialized cleaning from trained professionals because they often contain delicate fibers and materials not used in traditional carpet flooring. We recommend our professional deep area rug cleaning annually to prolong the life and quality of your area rug, and between cleanings consider:
- vacuum regularly (at least once a week) and use a tool appropriate for your rug—this may mean the detached suction hose
- wash any “machine washable” rugs in warm water and with a mild detergent—check your label before washing to ensure it is safe to machine wash; some may require dry cleaning or a very low moisture process.
- shake out or beat large area rugs outside on an outdoor clothesline
- only use professional cleaning services for delicate or imported rugs
How should I remove pet odors and urine from my carpets and floors?
All our carpet and floor cleaning services use professional grade cleaning products and machines that are able to remove pet odors and urine. Pet odors can deeply penetrate into your carpet fibers and flooring, which is one of the reasons regular professional cleaning is so important.
Between professional cleanings, however, you can spot-clean areas with the following tips:
- immediately absorb as much as of the wet urine as possible with white cloths or white paper towels
- blot the wet urine, do not rub
- clean the area with uncolored, diluted detergent (1 cup warm water, ¼ tsp detergent)
- once the spot is removed, apply undiluted ammonia or white vinegar directly to the affected area
- dry the area thoroughly with strong pressure and white paper towels or cloth
- consider using a spot urine & odor removing solution (we like Scotchgard Oxy Pet Carpet and Fabric Spot Remover)
- for persistent odors, try a topical treatment of an enzyme powered carpet spotter (we like Nature’s Miracle)
Household Cleaning Tips
How should I clean my tile and grout myself?
Harsh cleaners, though improving the appearance initially, can strip away sealants and even open up the tile or stone—which allows dirt, grease, and soil to penetrate deeper into the surface. When the grout loses its seal from harsh cleaners, mopping becomes less and less effective as the grout attracts soil and discolors. We recommend professional cleaning that includes a high-quality sealant on all new grout, or after every professional tile and grout cleaning (which we recommend you invest in annually to prolong the life of your tile and grout).
To maintain your clean and sealed tile and grout, consider a suite of mild, eco-friendly cleaners that sanitize and clean the area without destroying the sealant that is protecting your grout from deterioration. We love Seventh Generation products—they are widely available at mainstream grocery stores and are mild enough to clean your surfaces without long-term damage.
Also, natural stone requires special considerations and any cleaner needs to be as pH neutral as possible, and not contain any oxygenation properties. Stains on natural stone can be lifted with a poultice, but cleaning needs vary for each type of natural stone. Give us a call and we would be happy to recommend one for you (408-345-5323).
How can I prolong the life of my leather?
Leather is a surprisingly delicate fabric—it’s sturdy, durable and holds up well to daily wear, but it’s not indestructible by any means. Leather can dry out easily and absorbs dirt and oils throughout your daily use; processes that dull your leather and shorten its lifespan when it’s not properly cleaned and conditioned on a regular basis. We recommend semi-annual professional cleaning and conditioning on your leather products; this may include: couches, chairs, car seats, or boat interiors.
Between professional cleanings, use specially formulated leather cleaners for spot-cleanings, and apply moisturizer to the leather monthly. Of note, though: do not use oil- or wax-based cleaners meant for furniture; buy products specially formulated for leather.
High quality products we recommend for your home leather cleaning include:
- Wolfgang leather cleaners and conditioners for leather car interiors
- Leather Master Cleaning Kit from Leather World technologies
Additionally, dust your leather with a micro-fiber cloth, clean spills immediately, remove stains with proper cleaning products, and condition your leather at least monthly. If you doubt your ability to properly clean your leather, please contact us and we’d be happy to provide a quote for a professional cleaning.
How should I maintain my hardwood floors?
With the diverse micro-climates in the San Francisco Bay Area, wood flooring is a popular choice for many homeowners. Wood flooring is an investment in the value of your home, and also provides a beautiful flooring surface that can enhance your enjoyment of your living space. We recommend annual professional floor cleanings—this allows us to deep clean the wood, condition, and properly maintain your wood sealant so your floors last as long as your home.
Between professional cleanings, we recommend you:
- sweep or vacuum daily: dust, dirt and debris can get ground into your floors
- use pH neutral hardwood floor cleaners (these are water based cleaners) at least once a week to remove the normal residue and dirt that builds up simply from living in your home. (We love Murphy’s Oil cleaners as a tried and trusted name in hardwood floor cleaning.)
- never let spills and water set into your floors—mop them immediately!
- use curtains or blinds in your home to prevent UV damage and discoloring.
- use mats and area rugs in high traffic areas to prevent wear and tear.
- avoid walking on your floors with high heels, use felt bottoms on your furniture legs, and keep your pet’s nails clipped.